I Mean We

April 8, 2014 § 13 Comments

Early 2014 crop

Early 2014 crop

Things are going to be somewhat sporadic ’round these parts, at least until the sap’s done running and we are finished with the Chelsea Green book. And when I say “we,” I mean we,¬†because if it weren’t for Penny, I can’t imagine what this book would be. Actually, I can. I just don’t want to.

§ 13 Responses to I Mean We

Sporadic or prolific, each posting conveys rich “feeling.” Today’s photo showcasing six jars of “Fat O’ The Land’s” Grade A syrup says it all. Wow! Thanks!!

Where are you in the process? I’d be interested to hear how the publishing process works… Are you done ‘creating’ material and now just deciding what’ll go in? editing? You guys doing all the photography yourselves? – lots a pictures? Anyway, looking forward to buying it.
    syrup looks good.

The process for this book is a bit different, since it’s a truly collaborative effort. Right now, we have a pretty much complete first draft (approx 95k words) and we’re both going through it, making small changes and additions. so yeah, we’re mostly done creating. Not entirely, but mostly. Then we have to go through it again and figure out where all the photos go. All the photos (approx 150) will be Penny’s. I’m sure you’ll recognize some of them.

• Mary Hitzeman says:

Syrup looks great. You area a wonderful family. Enjoy your blog…

I’m sure your books would be different if she were not a part of your life. Given that fact, I’m really looking forward to the next book by Ben and Penny Hewitt (and Rye and Fin, too, come to think of it!) Hope all goes well with the finishing touches that remain.

• Michelle says:

I pre-ordered Home Grown on Amazon.ca. I can’t wait until September!

• Peter H says:

What grade(s) of syrup are displayed? (Incidentally, Ben, we pay about $17.50 for a quart of our local supermarket’s brand’s maple syrup – product of USA and Canada. variety is the spice of the life of my pancakes.)

That’s actually a decent price for quarts. Of course, there’s the indignity of consuming Canadian syrup…

• Peter H says:

Actually, the indignity can be quite difficult to taste, so we consume on…our tiny blue marble….