Taproot

February 20, 2012 § 8 Comments

I subscribe to four magazines: Harper’s, The New Yorker, Small Farmer’s Journal, and Orion.

I like Harper’s and the New Yorker because they make me feel smart, even if the words are generally too big for my tastes. I like SFJ because it feels like a community. I read Orion for the occasionally amazing essays.

I probably won’t subscribe to Taproot, but that’s only because I’m a contributor and the publisher is a good friend, which damn well ought qualify me for complimentary issues (hear that, Miller?). But otherwise, I’d be all over this puppy, which comes out next month. I tried to convince my friend to call it Taproot: the journal of place-based living; he was probably right to ignore me, but that’s what it feels like to me and that’s how I’m describing it here. It’s quarterly, it’s ad-free, and it’s really good. Check it out.

§ 8 Responses to Taproot

• Jason Miller says:

Thanks for the post Ben. We’re super excited about your contribution and you should have a couple of copies of the real deal, compliments of the house, in the next few days. Take care.

• Dayle says:

This looks like an interesting magazine. I’ve subscribed! Thanks Ben!

• Subscribed first thing last week. Glad to see your name on the masthead. Congrats on a worthwhile venture – we’ll all be the better for it…

• rhonda says:

Was introduced to Taproot via SouleMama and found you as I navigated the “Taproot” webpage. Northern Vermont, I was intrigued, and I found myself a new blog! We are planning a move to the Montpelier area this summer with the hopes of digging deeper. That explains my intrigue in all things Vermont, especially sustainable VT! Glad to have found you, enjoying your blog!

Hi Rhonda,

Montpelier’s a great place. I grew up just outside town. If you need any help, local insight, etc, just ask.

• rhonda says:

Thanks, Ben! I knew the locals would prove to be a friendly sort, lol! Would love some local insight as we get closer. Heading towards Orchard Valley Waldorf and just trying to secure our cozy farmhouse; oh, the paperwork, aaaargh!!!

• betsyohs says:

Like Rhonda, I heard about Taproot first on soulemama. I’ve been reading your blog for a while, though, and I jumped on the subscription when I saw you as a contributor. I can’t wait!